Natural ways to reduce painful periods fast
Understand what causes acne during your period
- Acne is caused by a combination of several factors. One of the main culprits is an increase in hormones called androgens. Androgens cause the sebaceous glands in your skin to produce more oil. This excess oil can clog pores and lead to breakouts.
- Another factor that can contribute to period acne is changes in your menstrual cycle. Just before your period starts, levels of the hormone progesterone decrease. This can cause an increase in sebum production and lead to breakouts.
There are also a number of lifestyle factors that can trigger or worsen acne during your period. These include:
* Eating foods that are high in sugar or refined carbohydrates
* Not getting enough sleep
* Wearing tight, non-breathable clothing
* Using oily or heavy makeup
* Stressing out
Reduce acne by changing your diet
- You are what you eat, so it’s no surprise that what you eat can affect your skin. If you want to reduce period acne, start by eating a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit or avoid foods that are high in sugar or refined carbohydrates. These include sweets, pastries, white bread, and white rice. Eating too many of these foods can trigger a spike in insulin levels. This can cause an increase in sebum production and lead to breakouts.
- Instead, focus on eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. These are packed with nutrients that can help improve your skin health. Aim to eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- You should also limit or avoid dairy products. Some studies have found that dairy can trigger breakouts. If you do eat dairy, opt for low-fat or non-fat options.
How to prevent period acne
Get enough sleep
Not getting enough sleep can wreak havoc on your skin. When you’re tired, your body produces more of the stress hormone cortisol. This can increase inflammation and lead to breakouts.
To get clear skin, aim for seven to eight hours of sleep per night.
Wear loose, breathable clothing
Tight, non-breathable clothing can trap sweat and oil against your skin. This can lead to breakouts. If you exercise regularly, make sure to change out of your sweaty clothes as soon as possible.
When it’s hot outside, opt for loose, lightweight clothing made from natural fabrics like cotton.
Use oil-free makeup and skincare products
Oily or heavy makeup can clog pores and lead to breakouts. If you wear makeup, choose oil-free, non-comedogenic products. These are less likely to cause breakouts.
When washing your face, use a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser. Harsh scrubs can irritate your skin and make breakouts worse.
Stress can make acne worse. When you’re stressed, your body produces more of the hormone cortisol. This can increase inflammation and lead to breakouts.
To reduce stress, try to get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and practice relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation.
Acne is a common skin condition that can be exacerbated by your period. Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do to reduce breakouts. Start by eating a healthy diet and getting enough sleep. You should also wear loose, breathable clothing and use oil-free makeup and skincare products. If you’re feeling stressed, try to relax with yoga or meditation.